Sunday, September 24, 2017

MFT Sketch Challenge 351

Hello everyone!
Today I will be featuring MFT's adorable Hippo Birthday stamp set for the sketch challenge.  Here is a mock up of the sketch for this week:

I began by die cutting a stitched rounded rectangle panel as well as the scallop border using the Basic Edges 2.  I then stamped the images I wanted to use on the white cardstock with Simon Says Intense Black Ink as I wanted to Copic color the images.  I wanted my hippos to have clothes so I sketched some with pencil then used my Copic Multi-liner to outline it.  I used Copic Multi-liner because I know the pen will be Copic friendly and not smear when I color it.  Once I colored the images I fussy cut them.  

I then started ink blending the the scallop panel with Twisted Citron Distress Oxide and Mowed Lawn Distress Ink.  I wanted to see how if the different formulas would play well with one another and they seemed to.  The Mowed Lawn was a bit brighter because it did not have that pigment property.  For the main stitch rounded rectangle panel I used Distress Oxide in Peacock Feather and Distress Ink in Tumbled Glass. When I laid down the first layer of Peacock Feather, I thought it was too dark because I was a bit heavy handed with it that was why I switch to Tumbled Glass to lighted it up a bit.  I then used Peacock Feather and the Cloud Border Stencil to create clouds; I made sure to tap off most of the Peacock Feathers on a paper before ink blending with the stencil.   

After I ink blended my panels I heat embossed a sentiment from the stamp set with Rangers White embossing powder on black cardstock.  I then used the smallest stitch rounded rectangle to die cut the sentiment.  I popped the scallop panel up onto the stitched rectangle panel.  I also popped the sentiment.  When I finished putting my images on the card, initially I only had the little hippo, cake w/balloons, and big hippo, it looked a bit empty, so I decided to stamp all the tiny birds from the set to Copic color.  I also added patches of grass to the scallop panel.  I then used my Specrtrum Nior Glitter pen to put some glitter on to the balloon, cake, party hats the hippos are wearing and the red strips on the papa hippo.  After, I used a white gel pen to decorate the cake, and put highlights on the balloons.  I like to use the glitter pen before using my white gel pen because I noticed that if I put the Glitter on after I put white accents it tends to muttle the white gel pen.   I hope you like the card I created.  



No comments:

Post a Comment