Tuesday, July 4, 2017

My Favorite Things: Blooms Background

Hello everyone!
Today I will be featuring MFT's Springtime Blooms stamp set.  The inspiration came from MFT's instagram post a couple days ago with a similar stamp set that used white embossing on black cardstock.  I love the simplicity of the card, but I want to take a bit further.  I loved the black with white heat embossing and wanted to see if I would be able to add color onto the black cardstock and it actually show the colors.  I had to think of anything very bright and opaque mediums in my stash.  I thought of my prismacolors as it works well on craft cardstock so I tested a few colors on a piece of black cardstock; the key is to pick bright and light enough colors to show on the black cardstock.  I then remembered my Kuretake Gansai Tambi pallet had some pearlescent colors in it that I could use.  I do not use my Gansai Tambi watercolors often because I am really terrible at watercoloring, still working on this.  I started by stamping my images onto the black cardstock with Simon Says Stamp embossing ink, which is similar to Versafine embossing ink.  I think Simon Says Stamp's embossing ink is a bit more sticky than Versafine. I used most of the images in the stamp set; first using the larger images to stamp then smaller images to fill in the spots.  I used Rangers fine white embossing powder to coat each of my panel (I made 2 one for each color medium) and heated the powder till it melted.  I started with my Prismacolor pencils.  With Prismacolored pencils the key is to use light layers to build the color, if you put to much pressure when coloring eventually it will create a waxy thickness that will not allow you to build anymore color.  Also, having a sharp pencil tip helps when coloring.  I currently do not have a blending medium for the pencils, but I found that if you lightly layer enough the colors will blend itself.  Maybe in the feature I will get a blending a medium, but for now I'm liking the bit of texture.  For the other panel, I used the pearlescent colors from Gansai Tambi.  I had to be careful about the amount of water I used for the panel because the paper I used was just black cardstock and not watercolor paper.  Its a good thing that the Gamsai Tambi pallet is super thick and opaque.  As I was watercoloring my flowers I realized that there is a white pearlescent color and thought, "I wonder if the pearlescent will show if I mix in other colors".  It did work!  I was super happy I was able to create different pearlescent colors for my panel.  When mixing the white pearlescent and the other colors make sure that you do not add too much color to pearlescent as it will become more opaque than pearlescent.  You have to play around with the mixture to get a good medium.  Also, because the pearlescent is white it will lighten the color you are using, so mix in a darker shade than you need.  I had fun mixing and creating colors I needed.  :)   After I was done with the panel I used 2 of the sentiments in the stamp set and stamped/embossed with Versafine Onyx black and clear embossing powder on a white cardstock to make it pop on the card.  I also popped the sentiment up on the panel.  I used MFT's stitched boarder dies to add a bit to the sentiment.  I cut done both panel 1/4 inch top and bottom so that when I put it on my white card base there was a bit of boarder.  Hope you like my card.



































Update 7/12:
Ahhh! These cards were featured in MFT's You've Been Spotted this week! So crazy and am so honored to be on their blog.  Click picture to see the blog post on MFT's blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment