Thursday, July 6, 2017

Crafting Desert Divas: Interactive River Tubing

Hi everyone!
Today I will be featuring Crafting Desert Divas digital stamp "Cool Summer" (click to see the stamp at CDD's website).  CDD has been releasing a few new digital stamps for free by attending their Facebook Group release event here.  When I saw this image I thought of either pool or river, but then I remembered how my friends would go river tubing down the Sacramento River; I did not participate in this because I do not know how to swim :(.  When I first started this card, it was not going to be interactive. I usually do not make interactive cards because something usually goes wrong and I get really frustrated when the card gets ruined by lack of thinking or knowing how to make the interactive element work.  However, as I was putting the card together, I thought this would be cool if the Rhino could move down the river.  So, I put my feelings aside about interactive cards to try and create a card with the Rhino moving down the river.  There were a lot of ups and downs with this card as I actually had to tear apart one of my card bases because the slider motion was not working (I needed to double up my foam tape) and I did not expect the card to be so bulky (I had more foam tape for the front water), but luckily it all came together.

I first started with downloading the image onto my computer so that I could use Photoshop to add a white boarder around my image.  After I uploaded the image into my Cricut to print and cut.  I love that I am able to do this with the image because I usually fussy cut my images and that is not so fun.  Once I had my image I used my Copics to color the image.  At this point I was crossing my fingers that the printer ink would not smudge from the markers. Woo! It didn't.  Then I went on creating waves with both white cardstock and vellum and distressing the white cardstock with Salty Ocean and Mermaid Lagoon.  While I was distressing I took a 5.5 x 4.25 cardstock panel to distress the sky and sun that I wanted.  I then glued down my first 2 waves onto the panel and used a slider die to cut through the layers of cardstock.  Here is where things started go array.  I was using 110LB cardstock for both my waves and panel so the slider channel die would not cut through all the layers.  I tried putting some foam under to create more pressure but that did not work, then I realized I should just take the cut paper out and re-align the die to cut the last layer (duh!).  After I glued down the track piece to my card base and used 3M foam tape to pop the panel up so the slider mechanism would work.  Well, when I finally was able to put the front panel in, and put the Rhino on the track it wouldn't slide! I was almost over making this card as I had to tear the panel off of my card base and it was not a pretty sight, but I persevered (mostly because I already put so much time into making the card).   I put another layer of foam tape, luckly I was able to save the track piece to glue down onto another card base. Once the panel was down I put the Rhino back on the track and it worked! :) Well, I didn't really think about the 2 remaining waves and how I would have to double pop them up so that the Rhino could move down the track.  :( This ended up making my card pretty bulky and probably won't be able to send this in the main.  It will be a card I'd have to give someone by hand, but it works! :P  I was quite proud of making the interactive card.  I'm not sure when I will make another one though.  Sorry for the long post.  I thought I'd share my woes on making this card.  Hope you like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment