Today I will be featuring Crafting Desert Divas digital stamp "Cool Summer" (click to see the stamp at CDD's website). CDD has been releasing a few new digital stamps for free by attending their Facebook Group release event here. When I saw this image I thought of either pool or river, but then I remembered how my friends would go river tubing down the Sacramento River; I did not participate in this because I do not know how to swim :(. When I first started this card, it was not going to be interactive. I usually do not make interactive cards because something usually goes wrong and I get really frustrated when the card gets ruined by lack of thinking or knowing how to make the interactive element work. However, as I was putting the card together, I thought this would be cool if the Rhino could move down the river. So, I put my feelings aside about interactive cards to try and create a card with the Rhino moving down the river. There were a lot of ups and downs with this card as I actually had to tear apart one of my card bases because the slider motion was not working (I needed to double up my foam tape) and I did not expect the card to be so bulky (I had more foam tape for the front water), but luckily it all came together.
I first started with downloading the image onto my computer so that I could use Photoshop to add a white boarder around my image. After I uploaded the image into my Cricut to print and cut. I love that I am able to do this with the image because I usually fussy cut my images and that is not so fun. Once I had my image I used my Copics to color the image. At this point I was crossing my fingers that the printer ink would not smudge from the markers. Woo! It didn't. Then I went on creating waves with both white cardstock and vellum and distressing the white cardstock with Salty Ocean and Mermaid Lagoon. While I was distressing I took a 5.5 x 4.25 cardstock panel to distress the sky and sun that I wanted. I then glued down my first 2 waves onto the panel and used a slider die to cut through the layers of cardstock. Here is where things started go array. I was using 110LB cardstock for both my waves and panel so the slider channel die would not cut through all the layers. I tried putting some foam under to create more pressure but that did not work, then I realized I should just take the cut paper out and re-align the die to cut the last layer (duh!). After I glued down the track piece to my card base and used 3M foam tape to pop the panel up so the slider mechanism would work. Well, when I finally was able to put the front panel in, and put the Rhino on the track it wouldn't slide! I was almost over making this card as I had to tear the panel off of my card base and it was not a pretty sight, but I persevered (mostly because I already put so much time into making the card). I put another layer of foam tape, luckly I was able to save the track piece to glue down onto another card base. Once the panel was down I put the Rhino back on the track and it worked! :) Well, I didn't really think about the 2 remaining waves and how I would have to double pop them up so that the Rhino could move down the track. :( This ended up making my card pretty bulky and probably won't be able to send this in the main. It will be a card I'd have to give someone by hand, but it works! :P I was quite proud of making the interactive card. I'm not sure when I will make another one though. Sorry for the long post. I thought I'd share my woes on making this card. Hope you like it.